Friday, October 15, 2004

Working Man's Lament

Young, strong and eager to win the day
Restless to join the working force for pay
Searching for work was never easy
Some folks do it until they are actually queasy
Watch what you do, show what you know
Knowledge is power and players always show

Working on a chain gang doesn't have
to be the rule
Especially if you follow some guidelines
and don't play the fool
At first when hired you can do no wrong
After awhile you feel it's where you belong
Day after day you work youre hardest
you push beyond extremes to do your best

You find yourself growing older a little slower
Brought in to fill in empty places are youngsters you are told..as your esteem sinks ever lower
The knowledge that you hold within you is gold
Unfortunate that the work world just thinks of you as old

In years gone by age was revered
Unfortunate that today it is totally feared
To strive to do what is right, show up on time, be polite, do your best, day in day out...year after year

What the hell does it matter anyway?

 

This mindset is poisoning our minds against employers...I feel like the guy in the bible looking for ten honest men .... I don't believe an honest employer exists.

I know I work hard, I know my husband does too...If I had my way and could afford it I would open my own flower/plant shop and never work for another person ever again. oh well, we'll see.


 

 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your poem...very truthful and honest.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to stop by and say that I thouroghly enjoyed reading your poems....very well written and I will be returning to read more!!! Keep it up!!!
*Amy*

Anonymous said...

I wish everyone who needs a good boss could have my boss as their boss too! He's great! and through the years has become like a brother to me!

I hope you get to open that flower shop someday like you've always wanted to...

Anonymous said...

For fun you should try some different rhyme schemes. You mostly use: AA, BB. You could try: ABAB, or ABBA, or even just rhyming the last line of each stanza. Not a criticism of any kind, just a fun suggestion.
-Paul